Friday, October 3, 2008

First Squirrel Hunt of the Year

Last Sunday evening I was finally was able to get some time to go squirrel hunting. I decided that I was going to take my oldest son with me since the last time I went squirrel hunting last year I took my youngest son. Well Paul and I headed out to a spot at Lapeer State Game Area that I found last year while rabbit hunting with my sons that looked like it would be good for squirrels. Well when we got there Paul wanted to shoot my Ruger 10/22 so I grabbed a couple of cans out of the back of my truck for him to shoot at. He had never shot my 22 before but he loved it and did a great job of hitting the cans. Here is a picture of him showing the damage that he had done to the cans.

After he shot 10 shots I picked up the cans and put them in my game bag and we headed out into the woods. We found a nice spot to sit down and waited. We weren't the 2 minutes and the darn mesquites found us and of course I left my Therma Cell at home. Paul was having a hard time sitting still out there and I kept telling to try and sit still because if the squirrels see us the won't come out so that I can get a shot at them. Well we sat there for about 40 minutes not seeing or hearing anything before we decided to try some place different. So we went to a different spot that I have hunted many time and always has a few squirrels.

On our way in we found a ton of trash and I have always taught my kids that when we are out in the woods we pick up any trash that we find. Heck my game bag was starting to get full of trash and I was starting to think that I wouldn't have any room for any squirrels if we got some. We found a nice spot to sit on ridge with a lot of oak trees around. We had not been there too long before I started hearing some squirrels barking in the distance and I was hoping that they would come to us. After about 20 minutes I was hearing about 3 or 4 of them behind us so we moved over to where they were and found a spot to sit. Paul was starting to get restless and I kept trying to get him to sit still and he tried but being 10 and full of energy it wasn't easy for him. after about another 40 minutes it was getting dark and time to head back to the truck so we took the long way back that would take by a little lake that I knew was there.


We stayed there for a little while just talking and seeing what other wildlife we could see and then there came a big flock of geese flying over and I thought of how this might be a good place for fellow pro staffers Mikey and Chuck to go goose hunting.


Well we all that we ended with was a bunch of trash but we had a good time and did out part to help clean up the woods and got to spend some time together. Here is a picture of Paul doing his part to clean up the woods. Well maybe next time we will get lucky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A great way to spend the afternoon, Also nice to see you teaching the youngster to clean up on the way through the woods. Keep it up!