Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Deer Season 2009 Wrap Up


 

Well I wish I could say that it was a great deer season and I put down a nice buck but unfortunately I can't. From the standpoint of being out in the woods enjoying nature it was a good season but from a seeing deer standpoint it was the worst one I can remember. I didn't get out as much as I wanted to but to be honest unless I was out there every day I wouldn't be out there as much I would like. The first two times that I went out for a bow hunt it was raining. Not just raining but absolutely pouring cats and dogs. I never even saw a deer either time. There were moments where I was really starting to wonder about my sanity sitting out there in a tree while it was down pouring not seeing anything but I toughed it out. I had taken vacation days off at work to go hunting and there was no way I was going to sit home and not hunt. Then when it wasn't raining it was really windy and in my experience I have never had much luck with the wind blowing. So during all of bow season I only saw a couple of does way on the other side of the bean field that I was hunting. With the weather being so crummy while I was bow hunting I was looking forward to gun season because weather wise my luck had to change. My plan was to hunt from dusk until dawn on opening day, which is November 15th here in Michigan. Weather wise it was warm on opening day, actually the warmest one I can remember in years, but my biggest problem that almost none of the corn fields had been cut around where I was hunting. There had been so much rain in October that the farmers couldn't cut the crops so there deer had plenty of places to hide with lots of food. I sat out all day on opening and only saw 3 deer. Two of them were a long ways away and the other one was a small yearling doe that I could have shot but decided to let her walk since she was so small. I could have just thrown her over my shoulder to carry her out. I went out two more times during gun season and did even see a deer. I have to admit from a stand point of seeing deer this year was very disappointing year. Overall though it was a great deer season because I just love to be out in the woods. So now it is on to the ice fishing season and then before we know it turkey season will be here. Turkey season is going to be special for me this year but more about that in another journal entry.

No comments: