Well it is finally October and that means that it is bow season. I honestly truly love bow hunting and after all the practicing, preparation and anticipation it seems nice to finally be able to get out in the woods hunting. Here in Michigan the opening day of bow season is October 1st which fell on a Friday this year but unfortunately I wasn't able to hunt on the opening day nor the opening weekend. That was just as well since it was raining pretty much all weekend. So I made plans to hunt the next weekend. My wife had to work on Saturday so the plan was to head out after she got home at 3:30. Now I am fortunate enough to have two different places to hunt. One is about an hour away from house and has some really nice deer on it. The other place is about 15 to 20 minutes from my house. So I decided to hunt at the property that was closest to my house since I wouldn't have much time if I went to the other place. I have never hunting this property so I really don't know what deer are on the property although I did scout it out last April so I do know that there are deer on it. Saturday morning I grabbed my PSE Vendetta XS and shot a few broadheads just to make sure that everything was good to go and as I expected I was hitting right where I wanted them to and then loaded my gear in the truck so that I would be ready when my wife got home. When she got home I jumped in my truck and headed out. I got to the property a little after 4, told the land owner that I was there, got dressed to go, painted my face up with Dead Down Wind facepaint and sprayed down with Dead Down Wind field spray. It was a warm day so I just wore my light weight Mossy Oak Treestand camo and put on my LaCrosse Alphaburly rubber boats. By the time I got out there I was sweating. Then by the time I had my Tree Saddle setup I was really sweating so I sprayed down again with field spray and climbed up in my tree.
Man it was nice to finally be out hunting. I don't know what it is about hunting but I can really relax when I am in the woods. It was a beautiful day to be out. Other than being a little warm it was just about a perfect day. I settled in and started scanning the woods and getting a feel for the area. As I always do when I am out hunting I start playing scenarios in my head about which way the deer might come and how to react. Then all of a sudden I realized something. My mind started shifting away for getting a deer and to just sitting back and enjoy natures beauty. All of a sudden it didn't matter if I got a deer anymore because I was just loving being out in the woods watching the squirrels, birds and other animals play in their natural habitat. As my hunt progressed I didn't see any deer although I did see plenty of squirrels but that didn't matter because I was just happy to be able to once again experience Gods great work. As I walked back to my truck after the hunt I was thankful for the opportunity that I had experience another great hunt. I'm not exactly sure when I will be getting out next but hopefully it won't be too long. So until my next blog good luck and happy hunting to everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment